Although the history of the German manufacturer officially begins with the development of the model 356 (1948), the fact is that, years earlier, Ferdinand Porsche had already designed several projects for other brands through his own engineering office. In fact, he owns the Volkswagen Beetle, from which the first Porsche acquired its features. It is in the Austrian town of Gmünd where, in the summer of 1947, Ferry Porsche begins to build the two-seater roadster with rear engine and aluminum chassis based on the Volkswagen project that his father had initiated. In February of the following year, the 356 “No. 1” is ready to roll and competes in Innsbruck – it obtains the best result in its category – as a tune-up for its subsequent production. It is followed by prototype 356/2, also created on the basis of an aluminium chassis designed by Erwin Komenda: in 1950 there are already 52 units manufactured in coupé and cabrio versions. This growth meant that a year earlier production was back in Stuttgart, where Ferdinand had set up his engineering office in the 1930s.Show More
No products were found matching your selection.